I'm excited to share another Day in the Life post today featuring Sarah from the blog Just Simply Sarah

Sarah is a teacher by day, and writer by night. She is married to the love of her life and raises their three little girls in the heart of beautiful Minnesota. Sarah's passion is to promote a community of supportive women, versus competition. She is the author of a women’s lifestyle blog called Just Simply Sarah and Huffington Post contributor. 


Midnight – 5:00 am: It isn’t a typical night for me if I don’t wake up at least once with one of my three girls. Whether it’s the baby crying, or my preschooler having to go potty, I am the one to pop out of bed. I love my husband, but he has a wonderful skill of being able to sleep through anything. Lucky man.

5:15 – 6:15: My alarm goes off and I pull my sleepy self out of bed. I hop into the shower quickly and throw a little gel into my hair. I have naturally curly hair, so thankfully doing my hair isn’t a huge task. My make-up routine consists of quick mascara and powder, nothing fancy.

During this time, I also pack my daughter’s lunch for kindergarten and leave a special note. I pre-plan my lunches  and pack them ahead of time for the week. This way I can eat healthy and have less stress in the morning.  I also make myself a full breakfast every morning; eggs, chicken sausage and half a multi-grain bagel with peanut butter. That is one thing I cannot skip. Not only does it kick-start my metabolism, but it gives me fuel to start my day.

6:15- 7:00: Commute to work. I am a high school teacher, and have a good 45 minute drive into work. I really love my job, so commuting further is worth it to me. I am very blessed that my husband is “Mr. Mom” during the day. He gets my daughters off to their schools and takes care of the baby, then goes to work once I get home. It was important to us to not have our daughters in daycare, if possible. This commute time tends to be my quiet “me” time. I listen to my latest podcast or music.


7:40- 2:20 pm: This is the chunk of my day that is a never-ending revolving door. My day consists of 4 class periods, 1 prep hour, a 25 minute lunch, and 127 students that walk through my classroom door. Every class period is different and brings its own joys and challenges. No two hours or days are the same; that’s why I love my job.

During the school day, I make sure to use every minute to complete what I need to do. It’s very important to me that work stays at work, and that I bring nothing home. As a teacher, the “to-do” list is never ending. I will NEVER being 100% caught up on what needs to be done. There will always be a paper to correct or an email to answer. It’s important to me to utilize all my time at work, so that when I go home I give 100% of my time to my girls and just be mom.

2:30- 3:10: Usually I rush out of work to start my commute back home. On my way home, I usually drive without any noise. No music, no distractions… just 40 minutes of calm.

3:15- 3:30: I rush to the preschool in my hometown to pick up my 2nd born daughter. I wait in the pickup line and wave excitedly as she runs into my arms every day, excited to tell me about her afternoon in class. I cherish these moments, because I know one day she will be grown. We spend the drive home singing her preschool songs and have some “one-on-one” time. With three girls, I really try to use driving time for time to have individual conversations with them and give them my full attention. This is the same if I run errands; I always take one child with me for some individual time with mommy.

3:30: As we pull into the driveway, I check the mail and say goodbye to my husband. He hands me the baby and gives me a kiss, then he is off to work for the evening. It’s hard not seeing my husband much during the week, but it makes our family time together on the weekends all that much more special.

3:40:  We walk down to the bus stop just in time for my oldest daughter to get off the school bus.  My middle daughter chases her down to tackler her for a hug every day, without fail. It has become a funny daily tradition. We walk back to the house, holding hands, talking about what she learned in kindergarten that day.

3:45: We get into the house and put our backpacks away. I put the baby down for her afternoon nap, and set the girls up for snack and their 30 minutes of cartoon time. We have this little time of quiet to relax after school and transition for the evening. I usually pull dinner out of the freezer to start thawing (I try to meal plan ahead if possible).

4:30: We turn cartoons off and head outside to play in the backyard while the baby finishes napping. I absolutely love our video baby monitor. It has been a lifesaver when juggling three little ones. I am fortunate to live in an amazing neighborhood with lots little kiddos, so all the moms meet up in the backyard to let the kids play before heading in for dinner.

5:30-6:30: During the Minnesota winter, it’s starting to get dark now. So we head back inside, wake up the baby and start making dinner. The older girls will play puzzles or a game with each other while I get food ready.

During mealtime, we all sit together with the TV off or turned to the news in the background. I like to use dinnertime to have family time and talk to them about their day. I try my best to keep a nightly routine, especially because my husband isn’t usually home until bedtime. I want to keep the family's night as structured as possible.

7:00- 7:30: I clean up from dinner, and pack the leftovers for my lunch the next day. I always try to do all the dishes right away and clean up the kitchen, so it doesn’t become too big of a job. Plus, I don’t want my hubby to have to wake up to a sink full of dishes the next morning.

Once dishes are done, the girls and I will read books. I usually read a story book, and then my oldest will practice her reading for her reading log.

7:30 - 8:30: This is the struggle of the evening for me. Usually I am running low on energy by now, and have to muster up the energy for the bedtime routine. I chase the girls around for diaper change, bath time, brushing teeth and jammies! My goal is to have to the baby in her crib by 7:50ish and my older two tucked in by 8:30 pm.

8:30 - 10:00: During this time, I make sure that the house is somewhat picked up and everything is laid out for the next morning. I pour myself a glass of wine and finally sit down for the evening. This is my time to write a blog post or answer blog emails. My husband will get home sometime during these hours and join me on the couch for one of our favorite recorded TV shows.

10:00 - 10:30: I finally get my nightly routine together to head to bed. Brush teeth, wash my face, take out contacts, and then off to bed!



What is the most challenging part of your day?

I have to say the most challenging part if my day is definitely cleaning up at the end of the night. I am tired and all I want to do is sit, but I know that if I don’t do it, my house will be a complete mess (which some days it is).

How do you stay present in your daily life?

Staying present in my daily life is challenging sometimes, especially with social media. It's hard not to quickly check Facebook or Instagram. I honestly sometimes I have to hide my phone in my purse, so it’s not a distraction. I want my daughters to remember me looking at them, not staring at my phone or a computer screen.

What is your favorite part of your day?

My favorite part of my day is definitely my evenings home with my daughters. They are so silly and growing up way too fast. I know I may not have the most exciting social life or have the wildest adventures, but motherhood is all the adventure I need right now. The days are long, but the years are short. They will be grown and gone before I know it, so I am trying to slow down and enjoy the journey. 

Connect with Sarah! 

Blog | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter