Who here is all about second day hair?!
Yeah, me too. Give me 15-20 extra minutes of sleep a few times a week and I'm a happy camper.
In my quest to be more chemical-free in my personal care items, dry shampoo was one of the things I decided to DIY. In the past I used baby powder in my hair, but white powder on dark hair doesn't always blend well, so I wanted to find a recipe where the final product was brown. Plus, my hair smells deliciously edible when I use it, so win-win!
I made my first video! I realize the lighting is bad and the camera skills are totally amateur, but hey, I'm trying new things! :)
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Optional: 5-10 drops essential oil for scent (I used grapefruit here)
Combine corn starch and cocoa powder in a bowl and mix well, until color is uniform. Add 5-10 drops of your preferred essential oil and mix thoroughly. Transfer into a spice shaker for easy use!
To use: I shake a bit into my left hand, then use my right hand to pick some up on my finders and rub it near my roots. Once there's sufficient coverage, I run my fingers through my hair a few times to blend it all in.
A few things:
- Make sure you get the unsweetened cocoa powder.
- An old spice container makes a perfect dispenser for the dry shampoo.
- If you have really dark hair, this will still be lighter, so don't use too much and be sure to rub it in well so you don't leave any streaks.
Voila! Second day hair that looks and smells amazing!